Clicky

Close

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Robert Parry suffered a stroke Christmas eve, and so published an apology (!) yesterday.

Mr. Parry has long been one of the most painstakingly honest, thorough, and considerate American journalists. With this amazing "Apology and Explanation," he also shows himself to be astonishingly humble - and classy.

The piece itself is a careful and very fair summary of the state of American journalism since Watergate. It's excellent, well worth sharing and saving. It's long, so I'll quote just a few paragraphs toward to the end ...

An Apology and Explanation
    December 31, 2017

- huge snip -

The hatred of Trump and Putin was so intense that old-fashioned rules of journalism and fairness were brushed aside. On a personal note, I faced harsh criticism even from friends of many years for refusing to enlist in the anti-Trump “Resistance.” The argument was that Trump was such a unique threat to America and the world that I should join in finding any justification for his ouster. Some people saw my insistence on the same journalistic standards that I had always employed somehow a betrayal.

Other people, including senior editors across the mainstream media, began to treat the unproven Russia-gate allegations as flat fact. No skepticism was tolerated and mentioning the obvious bias among the never-Trumpers inside the FBI, Justice Department and intelligence community was decried as an attack on the integrity of the U.S. government’s institutions. Anti-Trump “progressives” were posturing as the true patriots because of their now unquestioning acceptance of the evidence-free proclamations of the U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

Hatred of Trump had become like some invasion of the body snatchers – or perhaps many of my journalistic colleagues had never believed in the principles of journalist that I had embraced throughout my adult life. To me, journalism wasn’t just a cover for political activism; it was a commitment to the American people and the world to tell important news stories as fully and fairly as I could; not to slant the “facts” to “get” some “bad” political leader or “guide” the public in some desired direction.

-snip-

Whether they would admit it or not, they believe in a “guided democracy” in which “approved” opinions are elevated – regardless of their absence of factual basis – and “unapproved” evidence is brushed aside or disparaged regardless of its quality. Everything becomes “information warfare” – whether on Fox News, the Wall Street Journal editorial page, MSNBC, the New York Times or the Washington Post. Instead of information provided evenhandedly to the public, it is rationed out in morsels designed to elicit the desired emotional reactions and achieve a political outcome.

... and there's more. Read it in its entirety -- https://consortiumnews.com/2017/12/3...d-explanation/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts

Parry is one of my very few heroes, and possibly the only one who has been on my very short list for over ten years. (Well Wellstone is still on that list, but I think if you are killed, you probably can't screw anything up ever. So you get perpetual hero list status.)

Oh and the article he wrote doesn't indicate any brain impairment so there is good news in that. He is as sharply perceptive, and truthful as ever.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

best known for his role in covering the Iran-Contra affair for the Associated Press
    Respect!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...8journalist%29

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

Quote Originally Posted by senz View Post
    Mr. Parry has long been one of the most painstakingly honest, thorough, and considerate American journalists. With this amazing "Apology and Explanation," he also shows himself to be astonishingly humble - and classy.

The piece itself is a careful and very fair summary of the state of American journalism since Watergate. It's excellent, well worth sharing and saving. It's long, so I'll quote just a few paragraphs toward to the end ...
    Wonderful piece. Thanks for sharing it. He hit it out of the ballpark, as usual. One of my sisters tried to get me to show some repentance for not voting for Hillary last week when I blew up about Trump and Jerusalem. Supposedly that was supposed to get me to "see the light" or some other nonsense. See the light? Of what? Nope, I told her. I do not regret refusing to vote for her or for Trump. She was warned by millions, ever since Iraq War II, that we would NOT vote for her, so I'm still delighted she couldn't cheat her way to imposing herself.

Why can't we dislike both of them? And why must we be part of their stupid, unprincipled resistance? Forgive me if I don't want to be part of any "resistance" that's been forever complicit in so much death and exploitation around the world. Thank you Robert Parry! And be well. Be well soon!
    You can easily get agreement between a pig and a cow that wolves are bad, but they can easily fall into the trap where the pig says
    wolves should eat more beef, while the cow recommends a diet of pork.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Wonderful piece. Thanks for sharing it. He hit it out of the ballpark, as usual. One of my sisters tried to get me to show some repentance for not voting for Hillary last week when I blew up about Trump and Jerusalem. Supposedly that was supposed to get me to "see the light" or some other nonsense. See the light? Of what? Nope, I told her. I do not regret refusing to vote for her or for Trump. She was warned by millions, ever since Iraq War II, that we would NOT vote for her, so I'm still delighted she couldn't cheat her way to imposing herself.

Why can't we dislike both of them? And why must we be part of their stupid, unprincipled resistance? Forgive me if I don't want to be part of any "resistance" that's been forever complicit in so much death and exploitation around the world. Thank you Robert Parry! And be well. Be well soon!
    LOL, send this to your sister: http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stori...hrc.jerusalem/

First lady supports Jerusalem as capital of Israel

July 9, 1999
    Web posted at: 4:48 p.m. EDT (2048 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, July 9) -- First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton says she considers Jerusalem to be the "eternal and indivisible capital of Israel" and will be an active advocate -- if elected to New York's Senate seat -- to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.

In a letter that became public Thursday, Mrs. Clinton wrote: "If I am chosen by New Yorkers to be their senator, or in whatever position I find myself in the years to come, you can be sure that I will be an active, committed advocate for a strong and secure Israel, able to live in peace with its neighbors, with the United States Embassy located in its capital, Jerusalem."

... story continues at the link.

Obama also supported locating the American embassy in Jerusalem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrvPvo8yXc

Much more can be said to support Hillary as the greater of the two evils, but one answer I'll use in non-hostile discussions of how Hillary would have been as president is that if she'd won, 1) we'd be in one or more new wars by now and 2) TPP would have been signed into law. And if they get going on the environment (one of Trump's worst drawbacks) I remind them that as SOS, Hillary urged fracking on other countries.

Imho, Hillary would have taken us to hell with no hope of an exit.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crone View Post
    Parry is one of my very few heroes, and possibly the only one who has been on my very short list for over ten years. (Well Wellstone is still on that list, but I think if you are killed, you probably can't screw anything up ever. So you get perpetual hero list status.)

Oh and the article he wrote doesn't indicate any brain impairment so there is good news in that. He is as sharply perceptive, and truthful as ever.
    Yes, he is pretty impeccable, a fine man. He said the stroke affected his eyesight which makes it difficult for him to read and write, which, considering his profession, is unfortunate but not impossible. Some people do seem to recover somewhat from a stroke, hope he'll be one of them.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

He is one of the few honest journalists left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts

It's rather sad that so many have become staunch Democrats because they believe that party is the party of the environment.

After all, it is the Dem leadership that aligns itself with the Paris Accords and other such nonsense.

California's Governor Jerry Brown got himself a "cap and trade" style Global Climate Change Initiative" for the state signed into law. Yet he remains unfazed by fracking! How can a person believe in anyone in the party of the Big "D"? (While I see the "D" as standing for deception.) With leaders like Jerry Brown and Ed Rendell, I can hardly view the Democrats as caring one bit about the environment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts

I am sad to hear about Robert Parry's health. I hope he will be able to write for as long as the elite's torment us with the Russiagate story and shower us with the disinfo and loaded journalism. We are so grateful for the real journos!
    The left is often not correct, the right is often not right, and we the people are often wronged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Videos

@senz WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, July 9) -- First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton says she considers Jerusalem to be the "eternal and indivisible capital of Israel" and will be an active advocate -- if elected to New York's Senate seat -- to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.

Oh my!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Videos

I hope to read this in it's entirety in the morning.

Thanks.