Clicky

Close

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

Assange wants support for NSA whistleblower as WikiLeaks offers $10k reward to ‘expose’ reporter

Published time: 6 Jun, 2017 12:37

WikiLeaks Editor Julian Assange is calling for the woman who allegedly leaked top secret NSA documents to The Intercept to be “supported” and the reporter who gave her information to US officials to be “named and shamed.”

The FBI arrested Reality Leigh Winner, 25, at her home in Georgia on Saturday, and charged her with “removing classified material from a government facility and mailing it to a news outlet,” according to a statement from the US Department of Justice.

Assange went on to denounce the suspected Intercept reporter who allegedly shared the documents, and Winner’s postcode, with US officials.
    You can easily get agreement between a pig and a cow that wolves are bad, but they can easily fall into the trap where the pig says
    wolves should eat more beef, while the cow recommends a diet of pork.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Does the Intercept have editors like other publications? If so, their judgement should be brought into question.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

Yes though I'm not quite sure who. I believe Greenwald was listed as one of the co-editors but he's saying he doesn't do any editing. For his sake, I wish he'd dump them.
    You can easily get agreement between a pig and a cow that wolves are bad, but they can easily fall into the trap where the pig says

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Either dump them, or write an expose ferreting out the moles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Videos

While the leak is lame at best (Russian cyber spies would not leave their fingerprints behind), I see where Assange is coming from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Yes though I'm not quite sure who. I believe Greenwald was listed as one of the co-editors but he's saying he doesn't do any editing. For his sake, I wish he'd dump them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

John Kiriakou, who was burned the same way, by the Intercept tweets

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

Jesselyn Radack: "2nd time reporter Matthew Cole “involved in a story where source is prosecuted"

Stick a fork in him. He's done. And if the Intercept doesn't move quick, so is it.

Intercept Editors Face Mounting Criticism for Possibly Outing Leaker

by Aidan McLaughlin | 11:48 am, June 6th, 2017

-snip-

The editors of The Intercept are facing mounting criticism for potentially outing a source, after publishing a classified National Security Agency document sent to the website anonymously, which reportedly resulted in the arrest of an intelligence contractor.

About an hour after The Intercept published a report detailing Russian efforts to hack into US voting systems days before the November election, based on the NSA document, the Justice Department charged 25-year-old Reality Leigh Winner for leaking a classified report to a news website.

Winner is believed to be the source of the intelligence report, dated May 5, that was sent to The Intercept. According to an FBI affidavit, reporters from The Intercept reached out to an NSA contact in an attempt to verify the classified documents, sending the contact a hard copy.

After analyzing the document, the NSA “determined the pages of the intelligence reporting appeared to be folded and/or creased, suggesting they had been printed and hand-carried out of a secured space.”

The agency further determined that only six people had printed out the document, and after an audit of those people’s computers, email communications were found between Winner and the news outlet she provided the documents to. After speaking with Winner at her home in Georgia, she confessed to sending the classified report to the news outlet.

-snip-

Surveillance reporter Barton Gellman described The Intercept’s “egregious mistakes that doomed its source,” including informing their NSA contact that their source was from Augusta, Georgia:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

So do I. I don't fault Assange at all.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

I was always suspect of GG and The Intercept from the beginning. Too much Koch influence.
    Dont call me Shirley anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Videos

Bookmarked to come back to. Have to get granddaughter-inlaw from work.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Moon of Alabama has more about The Intercept, specifically with regard to this story. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/47191.htm

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingSpirit View Post
    I was always suspect of GG and The Intercept from the beginning. Too much Koch influence.
    I'm not suspect of Greenwald but I've been suspect of Omidyar for a long time. Why are you suspect of GG?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

That brings up many good points. I think the Intercept is finished and I hope Greenwald jumps ship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    278 Posts
    Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    That brings up many good points. I think the Intercept is finished and I hope Greenwald jumps ship
    I think they used Greenwald's reputation from the get go to gain respect. I am however becoming increasingly suspect of Greenwald himself. Just an uneasy feeling I get when he suggests that Russia might have "done it", whatever "it" is.

Didn't Matt Taibbi join them and then suddenly leave to go back to Rolling Stone? Rolling Stone is compromised now also.

I wonder why Michael Hastings fiery car crash was never investigated properly.

I'm going off the rails.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

It's strange you say that. I was away from twitter for a long time, especially during the months working on this set-up, so I missed a lot. But when I did sign back in to twitter and I saw some of the stuff coming out of the Intercept, I thought "WTF". Then this last shoddy article was the final straw. But I did miss a lot of Greenwald. So when did he suggest "Russia may have"? Because that would be it for me. Anyone who's not stomping out their little game is suspect at this point. I read that Tabibi said it was disorganized chaos at the Intercept so he left it I don't know what else happened. And Rolling Stone? Been dead for years lol. It's too bad.

I saw, and this angered me, that Greenwald blocked Jared Beck on twitter when Beck asked him why the Intercept wasn't running anything about the DNC lawsuit. WFT?

Michael Hastings. One day, one day...

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

He has been connected to KochBros and Cato Inst for quite some time.

http://exiledonline.com/glenn-greenw...-to-greenwald/
    Dont call me Shirley anymore