Clicky

Close

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

eBay founder Pierre Omidyar commits $100m to fight 'fake news' and hate speech

By Anita Singh
    5 April 2017 • 12:01am

-snip-

The first recipients include the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, the group behind last year’s release of the Panama Papers, which will receive $4.5 million.

The Anti-Defamation League will also receive a grant towards the building of a new centre in Silicon Valley to fight the growing threat posed by online trolls.

“What we’ve seen over the last 12 months particularly has been an increase in distrust - distrust in government institutions, in the media and in social media,” said Stephen King, partner at Omidyar Network.

“This new commitment is to provide funding for organisations that are trying to restore trust.

“The $100 million will be dedicated to supporting independent media, tackling misinformation and hate speech, and looking at ways in which technology can help repair relationships between citizens and government.”

Public faith in institutions is at an all-time low, Mr King said, and “alternative facts” - a term used by Kellyanne Conway, aide to US President Donald Trump - are gaining traction.

“Rumour has become the new currency and people are much more focused on believing what their peers say, and what their own political beliefs are telling them.

The money will be distributed principally outside the US, with a focus on countries where free speech is under threat. “We take it for granted sometimes in the UK and in the US, but in many countries around the world you don’t have that tradition of impartial, independent media that isn’t state-run or captured by corporate interests.”

-snip-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ake-news-hate/
    You can easily get agreement between a pig and a cow that wolves are bad, but they can easily fall into the trap where the pig says
    wolves should eat more beef, while the cow recommends a diet of pork.

Donor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

That going to make burning your sources alright?

Don't mind me. I am a bit cynical.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Downwinder View Post

Naw, I'm with you. And worse, this is to dry up really good sources that don't tow the imperial line. It's a concerted effort with Theresa May leading the fight to control the internet and these guys to try to discredit good sources. They must think we're really stupid
    You can easily get agreement between a pig and a cow that wolves are bad, but they can easily fall into the trap where the pig says
    wolves should eat more beef, while the cow recommends a diet of pork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts

A bit of help would be to follow the money. I can only imagine that the Deep State agenda has to be followed even if it is in the UK?
    The left is often not correct, the right is often not right, and we the people are often wronged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downwinder View Post

Bingo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

oh generous benefactor, save us from alternatives poisoning our critic thinking! grant us echoes of good-right-thinking!